Thursday, April 19, 2007

I want to talk about creative destruction. A car to me is a product of creative destruction because of its contribution to green house gases, the cause of global warming. Now there are genetically modified (GM) foods. Do we know the long-term implication of consuming GM foods? Perhaps, preoccupation with the long-term rather than the short-term in our endevours to finding solutions to world's problems would help us discover solutions that will not be problematic in future.

3 comments:

Thomas Michael Blaser said...

Bruce, I think I want to agree with you but I am a bit lost on the connection between green house gases and GM foods, especially in relations to creative destruction.

Ijeoma Uche-Okeke said...

Hi there, I think you need to expand your posts a bit more. Though Lesley constantly emphasises the need to keep it short, too short does not allow you to draw out your points fully.

Bruce said...

Thomas and Ijeoma I know we talked about this but allow me to give an official response in writing. At the time of the invention of the car I doubt if those who were part of the invention ever thought about the effect of green house gases on the environment. The other thing is that human evolution was affected by what was consumed then. For instance, consumtion of fish contributed in improving the intelligence of early humen. I'm informed that the nutritional value of GM foods is not the same as that of naturally grown food stuff. This should be cause for concern, I suppose.